Sunday, June 5, 2011

It Begins...

So, here we go.  In the three weeks since graduation I've been doing my best to stay busy and be productive. One of my first priorities was to clear my work space in the aftermath of the tornado that was portfolio review preparation and return it to a usable state.


Said work space:







The last semester I'd been focused on completing my portfolio pieces in oil, the medium I'm most comfortable working in. My schedule left little room for personal work, so I decided to take a chunk of time to play with some gouache that I'd bought. Lately I've been blown away by the illustrations of Austin Briggs, Robert Fawcett, John Gannam and John Whitcomb. Here's a little self-portrait; my first attempt with the new medium:


Lastly, this past month I was recommended as a storyboard artist to some people at an online comedy outfit. After sending over some samples of previous work I landed the job; a five page sketch to be shot for their website. Not a long script, but it involved a lot of quick edits and extreme camera angles. A fun challenge. Later on I'll post a few pages from the job and link to the video if it's ever completed.

Thanks for checking in. I'll be posting more on my navigation through the choppy waters of freelance commercial art in the future.

Be good.



No comments:

Post a Comment